Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HandBrake Dependencies List

Update (8/24/10): I wrote this post a long time ago and the dependencies have changed quite a bit since then, so here's an updated list. I'll leave the old post untouched for posterity. These are intended for use on a Debian-based system and can be pasted into an 'apt-get install' command:

build-essential autotools-dev libtool libgudev-1.0-dev intltool autoconf yasm libbz2-dev zlib1g-dev libwebkit-dev libnotify-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev wget subversion python python-gtk2-dev
You'll need to add libdvdcss2 to this list to work with copy-protected DVDs.

Original post: Here is a complete list of dependencies required to compile HandBrake from source. This is mostly for my own reference for whenever I reinstall my OS, but hopefully others will be able to benefit from it as well since it's so difficult to find a complete list elsewhere:

autoconf
automake
g++
g++-multilib
gcc
gcc-multilib
jam
libgcc
libtool
make
makedev
yasm (or nasm if you don't care about cpu extensions)
zlib1g-dev
build-essential (if you're on Ubuntu or a derivative)
dpkg-dev
libdvdcss2

Once you have these installed, just navigate to your source directory, type ./configure, then jam. The build process takes a long time and downloads a lot of things for codecs etc. When it's finished, you'll have a binary called HandBrakeCLI in your source folder, which can be run from its current location or moved to wherever is most convenient for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for this list! I was trying to Google "Ubuntu Handbrake dependencies" because last time I had trouble compiling Handbrake from source and I am doing a re-installation of Ubuntu, and I didn't want to run into issues again. Hopefully this list is everything I need to apt-get so that I can compile Handbrake and use the CLI easily. I'm especially happy because this is a very recent post (June 2008) and I don't really like reading old stuff from like 2005 about topics I need to know about now. Thanks again

Hunter K. said...

Glad I could help. This list *should* be complete, but if you have any problems, leave another comment and I'll try to help.

- Hunter K.

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks! I just apt-get installed all of these, then compiled Handbrake, and it went flawlessly! Thanks again!

Analytics Tracking Footer